Posted on 01/06/2020
Good Hygiene Protection From COVID-19: Tips to Keep You Healthy and Safe
To be able to fully understand, protect and adjust our lifestyle to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19 we need to, first of all, understand the system and the process of how the virus is being spread.
How are respiratory viruses like coronavirus spreading?
Experts assume that the transition of the virus from person to person is similar to those for colds, SARS, and influenza viruses. However, as the data emerged from the case in Wuhan, China suggested various differences should be taken into consideration in terms of an effective fight against the spread of the virus.
Droplet transmission: This transmission occurs when an individual gets in contact with someone who has symptoms of the virus such as coughing or sneezing and thus is at risk of having their mouth and nose (mucosae), or eyes (conjunctiva) unprotected from possible infective respiratory droplets. Also, this transmission requires close face-to-face interaction with the infected individual, hence the 1.5 meters “social distancing” advice.
Contact transmission: This transmission involves hands and surfaces. Infected droplets of mucous can be set on surfaces that are mostly invisible to the naked eye. If a person touches the contaminated surface, they can easily pick up the virus. In this case, it is essential to be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, before thoroughly washing hands. Surface wipes can be another great help.
Important note! The virus can live outside of the human body for up to 72 hours, although its infectivity declines over time.
Often, surfaces that are likely to contain and spread infected mucous may include but are not limited to frequent touch surfaces such as tap and door handles, telephones, handkerchiefs and tissues, mobile devices, television remotes, and more. That is why we should be attentive towards the magic of hand sanitisers, antibacterial surface wipes, and other hygiene products.
Airborne transmission: This transmission happens when tiny infected droplets of nuclei enter the air from someone infected by sneezing. Those can spread via air currents and later slowly settle onto different surfaces.
However, currently, it is thought that this transmission is not a very important spread of COVID-19.
Hygiene advise! While research into the COVID-19 virus is ongoing, the transmissions mentioned above of the virus have clear methods of prevention that should be followed for effective prevention of the virus spread.
Let’s review some of the primary rules every individual should follow and include in their hygiene routine to stay safe and healthy.
- Avoid touching your face, specifically your nose, eyes, and mouth, as much as possible.
- Try to use the inside of your elbow when you sneeze or cough, or preferably use a tissue to save your hands from becoming contaminated.
- Make sure to use disposable tissues rather than a cotton handkerchief to blow your nose. Don’t forget to get rid of the tissues immediately and ‘safely’. MAKE SURE not to leave them lying around for the spread of the infection.
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water. Read further to know the right way of washing your hands for effective protection. Also, make sure to dry your hands afterwards, as wet or moist hands are more likely to spread the virus.
- You can also use a hand sanitiser to clean your hands if there’s no washbasin available. Hospeco Australia is proud to have a great range of the best hand sanitisers which you can shop online to buy amongst the other range of our hygiene products.
Make sure to follow these steps when washing your hands:
- Wet your hands with running water.
- Supply enough soap to cover wet hands.
- Scrub all surfaces of your hands at least 20 seconds, including between fingers, under nails, and the back of hands.
- Rinse thoroughly with running water.
- Dry your hands with a paper towel or hand dryer.
Recommendations for workplaces:
- Make sure your workplace is clean and hygienic.
- Regularly wipe various surfaces (e.g. desks and tables) and objects (e.g. telephones and keyboards) with disinfecting wet wipes.
- Try to promote regular and thorough hand-washing for employees, contractors, and customers.
- Be sure that contractors, staff, and customers have proper access to places where they can regularly wash their hands with soap and water.
- Place hand sanitising dispenser stations available around the workplace at entry and exit points, also, make sure to refill regularly with a minimum of 75% alcohol-based solution.
- Importantly, ensure that face masks and/or paper tissues are available for your employees at the workplace, along with closed bins for hygienically disposing of them.
- Have several posters displayed around the workplace promoting respiratory hygiene.
- Always make sure to communicate the message that people need to stay at home even if they have just mild symptoms of COVID-19.
In the previous months, the spread of COVID-19 has put us into outstanding social, economic, and most importantly, health issues and risks. It has dramatically changed our everyday lives and the way we take care of ourselves and others around us. Once again, it reminded us that personal hygiene products and regular hand washing is our best defence from any infection. Hospeco is proud to have a wide range of hygiene products in Australia that are designed for your everyday hygiene needs. We offer an outstanding range of various products, including paper products, toilet papers, to different hand sanitiser products, and more, all available to purchase online! Make sure to purchase the essentials for your hygiene TODAY by visiting our website!